Have been craving a kale pie for quite some time know, but never really gotten around to make one. But yesterday was the day, had a lot of kale at home that needed attention before going bad, so it was the perfect opportunity.
I’ve never made a vegan food pie before, so this was a complete test and first try. Which I aced I have to say, totally delicious pie! We completely cleared the whole dish and the only thing ending up in the trash can was some crumbs.
This is what you need:
- Dairy-free butter/margarine
- 500g-1kg kale
- 2 Onions
- Dairy-free “parmesan” (Or another type of dairy-free cheese but Violife Prosociano is amazing! )
- Oat cream (or other plant-based option)
- Oat milk (or other plant-based option)
- Spices (Salt, white&black pepper)
- 2 dl flour
- 100g dairy-free butter/margarine
- 2-3 tablespoons of cold water
Start by mixing the butter with the flour in a bowl with your hands. When flour and butter is mixed together, add water and mix it to a smooth dough.
Every step and measure is a guideline and only approximate since it’s usually different for everyone!
Flatten the dough evenly in your pie dish and make sure you get some dough up on the sides. If you have a large dish you might need more dough.
Put the dish in the oven for about 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
In the meantime:
- Clear the kale and be sure to get rid of the large stem and rinse thoroughly, before chopping it and the onions into smaller pieces. Kale usually decreases a lot in size, which is why you need a lot of it.
- Put the kale and the onions in a pan and fry until desired texture. The kale should be soft and the onions with a nice brown color.Mix together in a bowl:
- 2,5 dl oat cream
- 1 dl oat milk
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- Salt, white&black pepper
- 1 dl grated Dairy-free “parmesan”
When you’ve got the pie-dish out of the oven, it’s time to put the kale&onions in and spread it out evenly. Then pour the mixture of cream/milk and seasoning over and make sure it covers everywhere. Grate some “parmesan” over the top and add walnuts (I used about two handfuls).
Put in the oven for about 40-45 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius.
Time and heat might differ for different kinds of ovens.
So happy with how it turned out, definitely getting 4,5/5 stars and will surely take place on the table again.
Serve with a fresh salad and enjoy!