For our New Year’s dinner we made a classic swedish “Renskavsgryta”(venison) which were completely vegan of course. First time ever making this and it was a total success!
The “meat” substitute we used was Oumph! The Chunk, which is a perfect substitute because of it’s texture. And it’s perfect for use in a stew as well. I am very sorry for those of you that cannot buy oumph!, because it is so tasty!
Served the “Renskav” stew with oven baked potatoes (Hasselbackspotatis) and home made garlic bread.
What you need:
- 1 pack of Oumph! The chunk (Or other meat substitute)
- Optional: 250g Oyster mushrooms and shallots.
- 2-3 dl Oat cream
- Vegetable stock after taste
- Blackcurrant jelly or juice
- 5 juniper berries
- Dried and/or fresh thyme
- Chinese soy
- Salt, pepper and oil
- Start off by frying the oumph! in a pan to get it nice and crispy before adding the oyster mushrooms and sliced shallots and giving them some nice color.
- Mix together the other ingredients for the sauce before adding them to the pan. Let it seethe for about 20-30 minutes, until the oumph!, mushrooms and shallots are soft and the sauce has reduced.
- Under the meantime you make the ovenbaked potatoes and garlic butter for the garlic bread.
- For the garlic butter you simply mix together 100g of dairy free butter, 2 cloves of garlic and some parsley and spread on your choice of bread and put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes (200 degrees of Celsius)
You can definitely make this stew without the Juniper berry, it’s just a common spice used in the Swedish kitchen when making these kinds of stews. If you prefer you could also use allspice or bay leaves.
Recipe came from Jävligt gott.